Tuesday, October 8, 2013
7:30am - 9:30am
2 hr 0 min
Galion City Health Department
Mr. Long made a motion that the agenda for the meeting be approved. The motion was seconded by Mr. Schilling, and it was unanimously approved.
Mr. Schilling made a motion that the minutes from the September 16, 2013 meeting be approved. The motion was seconded by Ms. Kerr, and it was unanimously approved.
Dr. Novack stated that the mission of the Galion City Health Department is To Promote and Protect the Health and Well-Being of those we Serve.
1. Accreditation of the Galion City Health Department
a. Dr. Novack reported that the first steps of accreditation are underway. Galion City Health Department (GCHD) has participated in a Community Health Assessment (CHA) and is participating in a Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP).
2. Get Galion City’s fair share of PHEP funding restored- pending further discussions with Crawford County General Health District (CCGHD)
3. Rationalize Nursing Functions-
a. School Nursing
c. Access to care
d. Outbreak Reporting
e. Workforce Development and maintenance of skills
4. Implement grade level food health inspections on Galion City Health Department website-
Mr. Schilling asks about Environmental Health (EH) working with restaurants to provide healthy food. He also comments on posting inspection reports at the restaurant itself. Mr. O’Leary wants to avoid punitive measures for restaurants and rather prefers highlighting restaurant good behavior. He suggests contacting the Chamber of Commerce for participation.
5.Implement electronic board document system- BlueSky
6.Establish secure internet section to website for posting of internal documents, forms, manuals, policies, procedures-
7. Implement use of credit card for payment of services- Mr. Schilling reports on new options. Applications for new service pending.
8. Review, revise and convert into an editable electronic document the department personnel manual- see #6
9. Develop set key metrics that the department will measure and track its performance
a. Health- Plan: Determine Galion’s Disability Adjusted Life Years (DALY)
i. Vital measures- Plan: Compare Galion’s experience to other small cities.
1. Births 2013 through September
a. Total – 280
b. Low-weight- 15 (3 in Galion)
c. <37 weeks – 20 (6 in Galion)
d. Teen Births- 29 (8 in Galion)
2. Deaths 2013 through September
a. Total- 160
b. Average age of Death- 78.77
ii. Top 3 Causes of death-
1. Diseases of the circulatory system
2. Diseases of the respiratory system.
iii. Reportable Diseases 2013 through September
a. Chlamydia- 3, YTD 25
b. Hepatitis C, Chronic- 3, YTD 20
b. Customer Engagement- Plan: Determine individual’s knowledge, motivation and barriers to obtaining optimal personal and family health and Galion City Health Department’s role
c. Employee Engagement- Plan: Determine employee’s knowledge, motivation and barriers to health improvement for the community
d. Financials- Plan: Compare Galion City Health Department’s ability to deliver value in healthcare outcomes compared to other small cities.
10. Develop and execute strategic goals with community organizations to deal with areas of concern shown in Community Health Assessment Survey-
a. Disability and Chronic Pain
b. Heart Disease and Stroke
c. Mental Health and Mental Disorders
d. Nutrition and Overweight
e. Substance Abuse
f. Tobacco Abuse
11. Communicate other major operational issues to assist the Board in understanding the organization’s business dynamics
a. Flu clinics underway!
b. Nursing participated in school-based food-label education
c. Ms. Diebler and Kimmerline doing well
d. GCH ER is not treating STD’s empirically; follow up difficult
e. Family Dollar will be moving to the former Dean's
f. New food facilities have been proposed at the former Toot's Pizza
g. Ms. Zmuda saw 35 food vendors at Oktoberfest
h. Bedbug complaints increased
i. Rough draft of an MOU with other EH
j. Eight new nuisances were reported in September, and a total of 19 were abated
Mr. Long made a motion to approve the monthly report, seconded by Ms. Kerr. The motion carried.
Will again request tabling for further preparation
Ms. Zmuda will forward documents over the weekend
Tabled for November meeting
I will forward final bid on Monday
IT contact for Services and Hardware- Mr. Long made a motion to table the proposal. Mr. Schilling seconded the motion. Mr. Long requests more information on competitive bids and would also like to have the proposed vendor to attend the next Board meeting and present his proposal. The motion passed and the item is tabled for November.
I will forward 2011-13 budget actuals with projected 2014 budget on Monday
Tabled for next meeting(s)
Mr. Long made a motion for approval of the monthly bills. Mr. Schilling seconded the motion. The motion passed.
The meeting was adjourned at 09:28 a.m.
Nov 12, 2013
No action required