Tuesday, March 18, 2014
7:30am - 9:30am
2 hr 0 min
Galion City Health Department
Ms. Kerr made a motion that the agenda for the meeting be approved. The motion was seconded by Mr. Long, and it was unanimously approved.
Mr. Long made a motion that the minutes from the February 2, 2014 meeting be approved. The motion was seconded by Ms. Kerr and it was unanimously approved.
Mr. Long made a motion for approval. Ms. Kerr seconded the motion. Mr. O’Leary discussed the meaning of various municipal employment terms definitions and the rationale governing the changes. The motion passed unanimously.
Mr. O’Leary stated that an updated personnel manual, not just for the health department but for all city departments was of some urgency. Mr. Long asked whether previous payments made by the health department to Clemans-Nelson would be considered in new contract work with same.
This item was tabled by unanimous consent for further discussions with mayor and possibly city council.
Ms. Cindy Wallis, director of programming and clinical services of Community Counseling Services (CCS), presented to the Galion Board of Health an opportunity to participate in the mental health treatment of Galionites. She proposed that the Board allow CCS unused office space for one day per week.
Dr. Novack suggested that she present an memorandum of understanding (MOU) for consideration. He suggested that as space and personnel allows, Galion City Health Department would, at no cost to CCS initially, accommodate the CCS mission.
Mr. O'Leary asked about the range of services. Ms. Wallis described the clients would include children and adults but she imagines they would be primarily adults. Mr. O'Leary recommends an ongoing relationship.
Mr. Long made a motion for approval of the monthly bills. Ms. Kerr seconded the motion. The motion passed.
Inspire and Engage out Citizens and Community to be Optimally Healthy
To Promote and Protect the Health and Well-Being of those we Serve
1. Accreditation of the Galion City Health Department-
a. Working template for Domain 6 (see attachment Zmuda)
b. Monthly board consideration of Policies and Procedures as developed by Clemans-Nelson. Process comments?
2. Customer Service
3. Rationalize Nursing Functions
a. School Nursing- state mandated nursing needs for schools may be increasing. Mr. Long commented on the Galion Schools need for nursing services. He suggested the use of State Tested Nursing Assistants (STNA) that were supervised by Registered Nurses (R.N.’s). Mr. O’Leary questioned the practice of Nursing availability on Fridays.
b. Immunizations- will continue flu shot program
c. Access to care- discussed with JFS the steps to increase Medicaid enrollment
d. Outbreak Reporting- discussed reduced risk
e. Workforce Development and maintenance of skills-
4. Implement health inspections window stickers- new licensing will display sticker
5. Establish secure internet section to website for posting of internal documents, forms, manuals, policies, procedures-
a. May be possible to establish an internet access to ‘Q’ drive
6. Implement use of credit card for payment of services- pending
7. Review, revise and convert into an editable electronic document the department personnel manual- consider Clemans-Nelson quote
8. Develop set key metrics that the department will measure and track its performance
i. Weekly accreditation meeting (except for week before board meeting)
ii. Define customers and establish method documenting level of satisfaction
i. Births 2014
1. Total – 56 (12 in Galion)
2. Low-weight- 2 ( 2 in Galion)
3. <37 weeks – 2 ( 2 in Galion)
4. Teen Births- 6 (1 in Galion)
ii. Deaths 2014
1. Total- 27
2. Average age of Death- 73.48
3. Top 3 Causes of death- Heart, cancer, digestive sytem
4. 1 suspected drug overdose death in Galion for January 2014
iii. Reportable Diseases 2014
1. Chlamydia- 9
2. Hepatitis C, Chronic- 3
3. Hepatitis B- 1
4. H1N1- 2
5. Mycobacterial other than TB- 1
6. Salmonella- 1
9. Develop and execute strategic goals with community organizations to deal with areas of concern shown in Community Health Assessment Survey
a. Last meeting of Crawford County Health and Wellness Coalition Wed Feb 12, 2014, noon to 1pm, GCH board room. The next meeting will highlight grant application.
b. Discussion about linking with Avita: Public Health Accreditation Board requires the following steps:
i. Community Health Assessment
ii. Community Health Improvement Plan
iii.Galion Board of Health Strategic Plan
10. Communicate other major operational issues to assist the Board in understanding the organization’s business dynamics
a. Annual Financial Report (AFR) and Improvement Standards filed with ODH
b. Finished restaurant licensing period in February.
c. Ms. Zmuda and I will met with Dr. Chawla, the Health Commissioner of Shelby City Health Department in March., Ms. John, Mayor of Shelby regarding the MOU for EH
d. New desktops scheduled installation Mar 28-29.
e. Anticipate new ODH supplied (through Time-Warner) internet.
f. Due to pressing duties elsewhere, I am anticipating a reduction in my actual face-time at Galion City Health Department
Apr 8, 2014
No action required